Bloomday March 2015

 Spring is progressing here in Northern California , with both the usual flora and bloomers that are early birds- a result of a mild winter with far fewer frosty nights than typical.


  Rosa banksia lutea is always one of the first flowers to show up here-a bittersweet show this year as it may be her last hurrah - the structure she lives on is in a very advanced state of deterioration and will have to go , along with Lady Banks. 



 I really need to get more Freesia bulbs next fall-they are dirt cheap , small enough to tuck in anywhere , and are first rate cut flowers too.




 This scented Pelargonium is typically sulking in March, but this year it never died back.


This 'Lavender Lady' Lilac popped into full bloom this week.


 A lot of collateral Dutch Iris damage when I was crazily digging up my front garden last fall, but this clump was spared.


Allium schubertii



Euhorbia myrsintes



Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow'


Hellebores still hold a place of honor this month.



 Early for these Ranunculas..



 Apparently I missed one when digging out the Erigeron , they are cute though  !


The Eccremocarpus featured last month is still blooming prolifically..though the base of the vine is looking a little ratty-I have a feeling the heat will do it in.



This rose  'Gruss an Auchen' has inexplicably thrown out 2 flowers , about a month early .




 And finally, a container full of Stock perfumes the from entry , a reliable winter annual here.



 Be sure to visit our hostess at May Dreams Gardens for more blooms from around the globe...

 Happy Bloom Day everyone !

Comments

  1. I'm no fan of roses but that Rosa banksia lutea is pretty fabulous. And freesia, oh how I love their smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Say the word and Lady Banks is tyour Loree--all you will need is a bulldozer . a crane and a semi to get her up to your house. If you ever want to hide your garage she's got what it takes !

      Delete
  2. Wow - I was surprised to see Ranunculus blooming already. I've given in to Erigeron karvinskianus. After years trying to keep it under control and out of my flower beds, I allowed it to take hold in my front garden - it's pretty and a drought survivor/thrivor so I'm allowing it to spread, a decision I hope I don't regret in 2 years. I'm with you on the Freesia - more next year! Happy GBBD Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, I was surprised too..though some of them seemed to have vanished . The Erigeron is a perfect hell strip plant and that is where this one lives , I'm letting it slide for now. At least I'll rarely have to water it ! We can nag each other in Sept about buying more Freesias...

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen stock in anyone's garden in a very long time. Just seeing your photo brought that wonderful aroma into my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I plant these in containers in fall-but I must say I don't see them in gardens either-though they are a large winter presence in our garden centers. Many years ago I tried to grow the giant cut flower cultivars to no avail. Now I buy varieties I know are reliable in 6-paks and plant them in a large pot next to my bench on the front porch. I can enjoy the fragrance all winter .

      Delete
  4. Ranunculus..and lilac's already..wow! It's a shame that it may be the last year for your Rosa banksia lute; it really has an amazingly soft color. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosa banksia has given me about 20 years of pleasure , more than I can say for many plants ! I'm very very partial to yellow roses.

      Delete
  5. Love the fragrance of Freesias and Stock, and all your photos. I need more Freesias, too. I think everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join Kris and I in a group bulb nag to buy Freesias in fall Hoov !

      Delete
  6. Wow that is a lot of blooms, and very colorful. I haven't seen those that you call freesias though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kalantikan, thank you for visiting here.Freesias are a corm native to South Africa . They are quite fragrant, and one of the earliest spring blooms. They do grow in frost-free areas but not sure how they feel about humidity !

      Delete
  7. I was thinking of putting in stock in the veg garden this winter for cut flwrs but couldn't find any. You certainly take good care of your sense of smell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say Denise, back when I was working in the garden center mid-70's to mid 80's in San Diego ,Stock was a common winter bedding plant we offered , along with Pansies, Calendulas, and Iceland Poppies.I still like to pop in some Stock in fall--kinda crappy that you can't find it --it was quite ubiquitous at one time.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful blooms, especially the Hellebores!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wonderful flowers and photos of them. .... magnificent photographic work ...
    Greetings, Karin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Over the Top