Weekend in Yosemite

 I am in the habit of taking time off in October ; usually a trip to the coast combined with a few days of fall clean-up at home. This year I headed to the Sierra for a 3 day photography workshop in Yosemite National Park -thankfully Uncle Sam came to his senses (such as they are) in time to avert possible cancellation. I signed up for this class on a whim , after receiving a brochure during a morning members-only photo walk at the Ruth Bancroft Garden with photographer John Ricca in August. Read about that here. John was the right hand man for our instructor Keith Walklet  of Quietworks Photography . Keith lived and photographed in Yosemite for many years before moving to Boise and his intimate knowledge of the park , it's sunlight patterns and shooting conditions made for a wonderful 3 days --in the end I was happily shocked to realize how much I had learned .

 Mornings began before sunrise as we met for breakfast and set out to our first shooting location.We would stay out in the field til about 10am and then return to the village for some classroom time and lunch. In the afternoon we would head out again and shoot til the sun went down.

 These are some of the photos I came home with..pretty sure I could not have done this pre-class. Thank you Keith and John ! 

















Comments

  1. Beautiful! I've never been to Yosemite, but some day I'd like very much to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice in fall Alison, the crowds are a bit toned down. I hope you get to visit some day..I hadn't been since the 70's.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a result! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well worth the investment! I would love to get to Yosemite someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of hiking there Sue..you could do a Yosemite-Mendo loop with a little wine tasting in between !

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos and what a great opportunity, kudos to you for doing it. Just curious...how many cameras did you take with you? (remembering the sad camera failure at the Fling).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach, that sad camera failure..glad to say I learned a valuable lesson. I upgraded my camera this fall, and kept the old one-both cameras came with me to Yosemite.

      Delete
  5. Wow what a lovely photo's KS. The landscape is very pretty
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marijke, I am lucky to live in a place that has so much natural beauty within a few hours drive.

      Delete
  6. These are wonderful! What a great way - and place - to spend a vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seriously considering doing it again next year ...well worth the $$ !

      Delete
  7. Wow! wonderful photos - makes me want to throw my camera away. And what magnificent trees.
    Chloris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chloris, but I must say the class I took at Yosemite made all the difference.

      Delete
  8. They are all good, but the last three are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of choosing a month to do something enriching like this photo class. These images are wonderful. The first one might be the favorite for me. Great work, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about the schedule Denise-basically 12 hour days , but it didn't bother me at all. And there was some wine involved after sundown. I might just do the same class again next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden