Garden Bloggers Bloomday-June 2020


 There is always lots of bloom action going on in the garden in June, and I didn't even try to capture everything. This is a selection of those I am particularly enjoying.


  I have no tag for this Lily, but it was the first to open. I planted it because it looked like Regale , which at the time I was unable to find. I planted three Regale this spring and they are budded up. It will be interesting to compare.



This Lily is very upward facing, it's a trumpet called 'Silver Angel' . The blooms are just about at eye level . It almost disappeared last summer and I thought it was a goner but it came back strong this year. I count 15 buds after a count of maybe two in 2019.


 A newcomer to my garden this spring, Scabiosa caucasica 'Perfecta Alba' . I think I can plant a couple more of these in close proximity for a nice supply of summer cut flowers.



Angelica stricta pupurea , a plant that is very popular with pollinators.


 The bloom of Manfreda 'Chocolate Chip' . Not your average flower.


 Erygium planum 'Blaukappe' one of my favorites of the genus. It's not as blue as some but it blooms profusely all summer, and politely reseeds.



 Close up.



Anigozanthos 



 Accidental combination of Verbascum 'Dark Mullein' and Clematis 'Arabella'. 


 Daylily 'Bela Lugosi'

Orlaya, Sanguisorba 'Tanna' and an unlabeled Lavender. 


  An impulse purchase bedding Dahlia called 'Black City Lights Purple' . I hope you can see the really dark foliage-I'm hoping I can multiply this and plant them next spring in a clump. The tag states a height of 18", and it's about a foot now.


Santolina 'Lemon Fizz' with Teucrium chamaedrys, and a bit of Achellia in the background.


Eryngium bourgatii . First bloom for me. Should have gotten a shot that included the foliage which is really nice and spiky. Eryngium is photo-bombed by Briza media, cutest grass ever.


Sanguisorba 'Pink Tanna' .



Eucomis is waking up !


 As always , we thank our hostess Carol at May Dreams Gardens for hosting this monthly event for garden  bloggers across the globe.

Comments

  1. Your lilies, eryngium and eucomia are ahead of us. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phillip ! Zone 9 is ahead on blooms, but I think we are also ahead on heat waves.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I can almost smell the lilies, and I am so jealous that you've got eucomis blooming. Mine are just foliage...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Eucomis popped up fast-seems like one day there was nothing and the next day blooms. Sometimes we are taken by surprise even though we inspect constantly ! I just ordered more lilies. I think I have an issue.

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are lovely, Kathy, but I'm even more impressed by how well you used the light when you photographed them. Your photo of the 'Lemon Fizz' Santolina is absolutely wonderful. (And it now has me wondering what happened to my own 'Lemon Fizz', which I'm guessing has either been bured by other plants or died out.) Your lilies are incredible, as is your densely flowered Anigozanthos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon Fizz always reverts for me after a few years--others report this too. I think it's a thing. Thank you for the nice comment on my photos. This whole pandemic thing and the other issues we are dealing with as a nation kind of took the wind out of my sails. I didn't take my camera out for weeks. Funny how all that external stuff can up-end your attitude. I feel/hope change is coming.

      Delete
  4. Incredible blooms,those santolina blooms are gorgeous .Many of these blooms are quite difficult for growing in our warm region.Happy blooms day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Santolina doesn't mind heat so much, but moisture and humidity would not make it happy !

      Delete
  5. The foliage on the dahlia is beautiful. They are one of my favorite flowers but struggle to grow in my area. I had three survive the winter and I was thrilled. Remembering to pull up the bulbs in the fall is impossible for me. Remembering anything at all has never been my strong point.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dahlias can be tricky here-they would really prefer cooler summers but if I keep them watered well they do fine. We can leave them in the ground hardiness wise , but sometimes the wet soil in winter does them in.

      Delete
  6. Lovely blooms. The Manfreda has an interesting flower. Is it monocarpic like agave? I have Verbascum and Arabella so will have to try your combo. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manfreda is not monocarpic thank goodness. Neither are the Mangaves but I have yet for one of those to bloom.

      Delete
  7. Lots of cool flowers--and quite a few I've been eyeing, like Eryngium 'Blaukappe' and E. bourgatii. I really need to get some now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my 'Blaukappe' from Digging Dog , I've never seen it anywhere else. If I get a couple seedlings this year (which I have every year) I'll try to dig up one for you. I may have got bougatii there too. They grow alot of Eryngiums. So does Joy Creek.

      Delete
  8. I love Eryngium. The closest I have is echinops (not blooming yet.) There's is an assortment of unusual plants - I need to look through your blog to see what other goodies there are.
    -Ray

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just visiting and saw your beautiful collection of floral plants. I can't imagine the fragrance and colors - truly remarkable. I can relate to the Lily and Dahlias but even then, they only grow well in highlands.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Focal Point !

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

Arty Garden