It's Spring so Lets Go to Annies !

 Most years I take my spring road trip in April and my first Annies run happens in March. It kind of amuses me to see how my routine was disrupted just because I took the road trip in March. My Annies list was getting long and my garden had an abundance of empty spots-not a bad thing when you have a plant-shop habit. Today I packed up the camera and the plant list and headed south for my first Annies outing of 2018. It was way too sunny for photos but I took them anyway.

 It was a flowery day - the Digitalis was  in great form. I love Foxgloves and grew them for years until I had to make some space choices that bumped them off the team. There are so many interesting hybrids now -including the Digiplexis cultivars that created such a buzz when they were first introduced, that I have started to gradually bring them back into the fold.





 Lady Hillingdon , the tea rose that is among the small covey of roses that I would consider adding to my garden was in full peak bloom. I love the elegant buds and purpley stems.



 This Puya was in dramatic full bloom .




 The Flower Floozie is looking quite high fashion in this springs' ensemble. Notice how she is coordinated with the Puya. Her clothing consultant did a fine job.


 The edible section has expanded significantly over the last couple of years. Had I been in the market for veg I could have found just about anything I wanted. I did pick up a couple African Blue Basil which I have not been able to find in my area so far this year.


 The bloom on the Beschorneria 'Flamingo Glow' was insane. This pic does not really convey it's size. 7 feet ?


Echiums were blooming too.



 A nice speciman of Acacia c. 'Cousin Itt ' a plant that met a sad fate in my garden. Since I've only killed it once I have at least two more chances. Need to figure out the right spot.



Going to Annies always reminds me of my love of flowers -which is what prompted me to garden in the first place, so many years ago. It's tempting to want to replicate the abundance of the flowery borders in Annies display gardens, but I have to be realistic about the climate difference . It's hard when confronted with this glorious color. Annies is in Richmond which has no frost to speak of and much cooler summer temperatures than I do here in the Napa Valley. Careful selection and appropriate siting has been learned behavior. But I will on occasion push the climate envelope. The victories are all the better.





 I kept to my budget (almost ) and bought one flat only. It helps to use the Radio Flyer instead of the double-decker nursery cart. Once the radio Flyer it's full it's time to check out and go home.Planting commences tomorrow.









Comments

  1. I REALLY want to pay a visit in person one day. Mail order just isn't the same experience - and I understand that Annie's offers a lot more on-site than is made available for on-line purchase. Of course, getting a mass of plants back home wouldn't be easy either. When is that bullet train supposed to be in operation???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need a road trip Kris-thats the best way to do plant shopping in far places-and really not that far. Way more room in the car than in the suitcase ! My car was chock full when I did my socal run in March.

      Delete
  2. Yellow bird of paradise (which I didn't know existed) echoing Aquilegia chrysantha... pretty fabulous even among a floral frenzy like Annie's!

    Have fun planting the wagon's worth of delights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I commented last night on my ipad but I guess it didn't take. How wonderful to be able to zip off to Annie's...and only a wagon full! I can't even wrap my head around the idea of a frost free climate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. frost free and so close to my 20 degree nights. The bay moderates.

      Delete
  4. Hey no fair--you didn't say what you bought!

    Delicious photos! The condition of the flowers shows the mildness of the climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Verbascum oylmpicum. Yes I did. I cleared out a spot. Passiflora 'Blue Horizon' , African Blue Basil, Senecio serpens, Rudbeckia 'Chim Cheree' Fuchsia Galfrey Lye' Abutilon 'Victor Reiter', Salvia horminum 'Blue.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same say about Lady Hill, esp. the climber. Just fired off an order to Annie's a couple days ago...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just discovered a small 'Annies' selection in a favorite nursery ( 'Garden Fever') in Portland . Very nice to not have to mail order this year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden