Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Pinch of Oregano

Collecting seems to just happen to me in a spontaneous way-I perform a 'garden audit' and find that I have 7 varieties of Penstemon, 14 Salvias, 10 Euphorbias ..you get the picture. Space is always an issue, thus no trees or large shrubs are collected -though I confess to the ownership of 60 plus roses. Starting last autumn I have fallen prey to every Oregano that has crossed my path. I already owned the basic culinary form , the golden model (which has colonized the lawn-but who needs lawn anyway ?) and Kent Beauty--oh, and a Hopleys Purple which was naughty and has been banished to an area surrounded by concrete where it can flop and spread at will.











3 comments:

  1. Eminently collectible! The last one looks like one I've got in the front gravel garden, largish grey felty leaves that I thought was libonaticum. Is that what yours is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a very ID'able photo there Denise, it's Dittany of Crete ,Origanum dictamnus, one of my absolute fave O's. The flowers are just starting to come on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking at Kent Beauty yesterday and toyed with the idea of giving it a home. I've shied away from oreganos because of their sprawly habits, but seeing your lovely selections, I think I must have more. If you have three, you have a collection, a wise old gardener once told me. It's a slippery slope.

    ReplyDelete