Renovating the Hell Strip (Again).

  I don't even remember all of the so-called designs I implemented for the hell strip in the 30 or so years I've lived in this house. I know the original street trees in the neighborhood (mostly installed around 1983)  were all the dreadful Hackberry most of which were removed either by the homeowner (in my case) or more recently by the city. The trees technically belong to the city , and as I recall they took care of the removal and planting a replacement tree but only chipped in a modest amount per square foot for sidewalk repair. By that time sidewalks all over the city were lifting so they developed a list of approved trees that worked much better in the narrow strip between the sidewalk and the street.  I chose Crape Myrtle which took quite a few years to get going so between the sidewalk repair and when the new tree went in I replanted for sun with the thought I could just move/ replace them if and when the area got too shady. It took several years but shade happened and I started digging it all up. My regret is that I have little to no before photos-I think my feeling was it looked so crappy I had no desire to document it. 

 My first change was planting Hellebores around the base of the tree. All of these were purchased at the UC Davis Arboretum plant sales over a year or two. I find that Davis usually has a really nice selection of Hellebores -I always like to get one or two with every sale and because I am a member I get a discount and early shopping opportunities.  



The low plant on the left and at the immediate base of the Crape Myrtle is a spreading Teucrium. I bought this several years ago from Annies and the tag has vanished. Annies has redone their website and they no longer maintain a list of discontinued plants so I don't know what the variety is-I do have to keep it in check as it spreads by underground rhizomes. 



 Another UC Davis acquisition is Heucherella 'Pink Fizz'. Naturally I planted it too close to Mahonia 'Soft Caress'. 



 I planted 3 Carex 'Everillo' . I have been adding Carex in many of the shady spots in my garden. This is one of my favorites. I tried to pair it with Heucherella 'Solar Eclipse' which you can see both lower center and upper right of the second photo down. 
 




View from the street. There is barely visible Pulmonaria and Ajuga on the lower right .




Renga Lily is bottom center and in this photo from early spring the Cerinthe (which I heavily edited) was flowering .My next step is to add plants for mid to late summer. My plan is to divide the Renga Lily -which is also planted too close to Mahonia 'Soft Caress' .  I continue to ponder.



Comments

  1. It looks great, Kathy. I wish my Hellebores looked half that good. I love the Carex 'Everillo', which I've never seen sold here - that bright green really pops! I have quite a few Carex 'Evergold' and 2 'Feather Falls', which are tough but don't make the same statement as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to order Everillo from Digging Dog-I couldn't find it up here either at the time. I've seen it around her and there this year though. It was one of the first things I planted.

      Delete
  2. I'm curious - what crape myrtle do you have? I think your planting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Natchez Phillip- white flowers and a very wide canopy compared with most of the other CM's in my neighborhood.

      Delete
  3. Oh to see such a healthy Mahonia 'Soft Caress'! Up here winter was not kind to them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having an opposite issue here Loree.I have 3 and all but one had scalding from our heat waves this month. Once we get into fall I'll just cut off the sunburned branches-they like winter here.

      Delete
  4. I think this is the direction I'll go planting the north side of the Oregon house, a place for hellebores and ferns and such. Sounds like you've hit on planting for conditions that will remain valid for quite a while, fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to grow ferns here too , but it's just too hot and dry. I know you can appreciate those issues ! Plus it's hell strip so has to be hand watered. I've really come to recognize the heat-up that has occurred since I moved here in 1986.

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful collection of Hellebores. All the other plants are wonderful companions, too. It's a lovely garden plot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth--I've really enjoyed adding Hellebores to the garden. I remember the days when they were rarely seen in garden centers here -you had to find the specialty places. And they were expensive !

      Delete
  6. It looks wonderful, ks. LOVE that 'Everillo'! And the Hellebores, too. Here they are a joy right when the roses are all chopped back and bare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I'm really getting fond of Carex ! I planted some 'Blue Zinger' this year too.

      Delete
  7. It's lovely! I think I prefer Annie's old site - maybe I was just used to it. Love your combos in the hellstrip, I bet people stop and admire it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss Annies old site too-but it had been around for a long time so I expect some changes were needed just from a tech standpoint.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aphid Nation

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

Arty Garden