Garden Bloggers Bloomday for July 2022

   I had no clue that today was the 15th of the month until quite late in the morning. Fortunately the marine layer was still in place so I didn't have to take pics in full sun. Oddly we are having June Gloom in July this year which has been moderating the temps nicely.  I will no doubt improve at navigating dates and times when I have a couple more weeks of retirement in the can.I do have a desk calendar and a wall calendar and plenty of electronic devices that will tell me what day it all, but one must look at them to be informed.  Here then are some of the flower offerings from my garden this month.

 Roses are flushing out again, and even the foliage looks decent since the spring rain patterns this year did not favor blackspot. 

First up is the beast of a climber Sombreuil.

 

The David Austin selection 'Happy Child'

'Bolero'


 'Gruss an Aachen'



Dahlia season is just kicking off. Dahlias are just not particularly garden worthy here- the flowers look great but the plants are seemingly always under attack by spider mites, leaf-miner and this year we added whitefly into the mix.  Now that I have more time to baby them I am hoping I can keep them at least somewhat decent looking. 

'Labyrinth'

 

'David Howard' , new to me this year after finally locating it at Longfield Gardens . A very saturated orange with bronze foliage and stems, supposedly excellent for cutting.

 

'Bee Happy'


 

Bronze Fennel, also grown for cutting. I've grown this from time to time, and have never known it to reseed in my garden.

'Miss Libby' -freebie that can with my spring order from The Lily Garden.

 

Went a litttle gaudy on the hell strip this year.  I planted a couple dozen Benarys Giant Zinnias that I started from seed . This has been such a success , I've ordered 2 more colors for next year.



 Still a few Lilies to enjoy. This is 'Carte Blanche' .

 

 A freebie from B&D came unnamed.

Eucomis

 

Nicotiana langsdorfii.

Hydrangea paniculata 'Pee Gee' not flopping (yet).

 

Lobelia tupa

Thats it , and you can visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens to get a taste of  what other garden bloggers have to share this month.

Comments

  1. I hope you're enjoying your first weeks of freedom, Kathy. The marine layer has kept our temperatures down as well but the forecasters are predicting a shift in the direction of a heatwave this weekend...

    Every one of your GBBD photos is beautiful. I'm very envious of your roses, especially 'Bolero'. My own roses, when they bloom at all, are pitiful. Seeing your Dahlia 'Labyrinth' I regret I didn't buy another tuber this year but I last year's experience with distorted blooms put me off. Leaf miner hasn't been a big issue yet this year but I did have an ant-aphid problem with one plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear the the marine layer mornings will be gone soon but I'm enjoying them while they are here . If I've learned anything in the decades of growing roses it's that some just don't do well and when I started reducing my inventory I was very intentional about which ones I kept.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!
    Love the Dahlias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos and blooms. I miss 'Sombrueil' and wish I had it again. I've thought about replacing 'Lamarque' with it since that rose isn't doing the best. I rarely know what day it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted Lamarque-as many roses as I've grown over the years I've never had a Noisette. I like Crepuscle too. Not enough room !

      Delete
  4. Wow impressive Eucomis. I was so excited to get a single flower stem on mine. Your roses are really lovely--excellent photos do them justice. DA's yellows have always been winners. Your Zinnias are way ahead of mine, just starting to see the first buds here. Beautiful Dahlias too, especially like that 'Labyrinth'. Hope you are enjoying retirement and the luxury of ignoring today's date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew that clump or Eucomis in a pot for many years and finally them in the ground-muck more robust -though they don't look like much after the blooms fade. I started the Zinnias indoors under lights in mid-Feb. I think I could have started them even earlier .

      Delete
  5. Those gorgeous Eucomis! My Portland Eucomis are jealous… I love that you have dived into retirement to the extent that you’re unaware of the date already; that’s excellent form. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have to make sure I at least have enough date awareness to pay my property taxes on time !

      Delete
  6. Happy Retirement! Garden time all the time! Your photo of the eucomis is magic, so lovely. For some reason I was surprised to see a hellstrip and asphalt. I had always pictured you in more of a rural setting. Why? I Have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ! I'm just a plain old tract house neighborhood, although I am on the edge of the city. So if I go about a mile north , I'd be rural !

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous blooms especially Miss Libby. Congratulations on your retirement. So much more time to putter in the garden and work on new projects. I retired part way through the pandemic and have never looked back. Rarely know what day it is, the date or even the time. It's awesome! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on retirement! Being disoriented as to time is one of the perks ;). I've got a handful of dahlias just starting to bloom, and what a shock to not have leaf miners. Other than the occasional holes in the leaves from chewers, they're not terribly unsightly, unlike their awful appearance in my zone 10 garden. Sombreuil is a beautiful beast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous blooms! Your dahlias look great to me. I’m still waiting on my first ever dahlia bloom. My dahlias are definitely getting beaten by the bugs too, and something is eating chunks out of the leaves. I just hope they’re somewhat worth the fuss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden