When You Are Home Every Day Things Get Done

   The home and garden improvement wave unleashed by the pandemic did not pass me by. With more time at home than I've had in at least 30 years I was reminded daily of the deterioration I had allowed to accumulate here. It became pretty clear in late spring that travel was probably not going to happen til at least fall, and that has turned out to be overly optimistic. So the travel budget was up for grabs. It was easy to pivot funds to home repair. 

 Exhibit A...The dry rotting white post and beam on the upper right is what remains of a structure that covered this entire patio. It had been deteriorating for quite some time and I gradually disassembled most of it myself and had the rotting lumber hauled away This last part of the structure was not something I would be able to do on my own.

 

 It involved a post attached to concrete and what remained of Rosa banksia lutea. If you look at the green blob of foliage far left center in this photo, it will orient you to the location of  the following photo.


Exhibit B.... Not only had I voluntarily planted Lady Banks, I also installed a climbing Cecile Bruner on the opposite end of the patio. I advise against planting either of these behemoths  unless you have 'property'.  The white beam on the left was attached to the house and hung in mid-air, it's connection to the upright post long gone. 

 And so the project begins. I don't know how I lucked out with the dude I hired for this . We designed the new pergola based on copying an arbor I have over a gate . I told him how big I wanted it -10 feet between posts and 4 foot cross slats.. Day one was removing the remaining structure and the rose trunk and setting the posts.

 
 Day two, it was complete. Not a single surrounding plant was damaged. Done by two guys in two days.

 

 I was going to wait to do the other end (wait for what ??) but I was so thrilled with the outcome I had the rest done a couple weeks later. Here the new posts go up. I had to dig up most of this succulent bed -all I left in was Agaves 'Blue Glow ','Cream Spike', and geminiflora. I took cuttings of a Cotyledon and discarded Graptoveria 'Fred Ives' which had mealybug. I hate those damn things (mealybugs not Fred.) This presented me with the opportunity redo this whole bed,which included some modest enlargement.

 Voila !

 
The long view. The orangey cast and the grey sky was courtesy of the Glass Fire.  
 
 
I took this image this morning, as you can see I have replanted what I now have dubbed 'the Agave Meadow'. There are 5 Agaves here as of today-'Blue Glow, 'Cream Spike', parryi truncata, victoria-reginae, geminiflora and 'Cornelius.'. 
 

 
The pergola installations have upgraded my back garden significantly. Since this was completed I have removed several more mature plants and hope to spend winter and early spring reworking more areas of my small garden. This project was the lemonade of the Covid summer, and I am hopeful that summer of 2021 will provide a return to normalcy.

 

Comments

  1. Well worth the time and money, Kathy. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agave meadow!!!! Finally a meadow I can appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like to name areas of my garden- It helps me plan maintenance-I have a rolling list and 'weed Agave meadow' seems like a good bullet point. I have room for one more small one !

      Delete
  3. Excellent refresh. The guys did a good job on that pergola, and you did a good job with the Agaves.

    Hope you are having a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hoov. This was a few years coming and it sure feels good to have it finally done.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous new pergolas. They really help elongate the garden to make it look larger. The roses sound scary. I spent a couple of days digging out rugosa suckers from along my sidewalk which was tough enough. If they weren't so darn pretty roses would be banished from my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dug up 2 more in the lead-up to this project . I was up in the 70's at one time , but I needed the room for other things so gradually they started to go. Only the real winners remain.

      Delete
  5. So glad you found a craftsman on your wavelength. People like that are gold! Nothing better than having new areas to plant! I'm wondering if new roses are planned for the pergola...? Maybe Climbing Lady Hillingdon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it of not Denise I haven't decided about what I will plant on the pergola. I think for next year I'm just going to use annual climbers while I ponder. I would love to have Cl. Lady Hillingdon but she's elusive !

      Delete
  6. This looks *so good*. Can you send your guy my way? I want the same pergolas!

    Agave meadow: I'm so glad you have one. Everyone should! (P.S. I love the word "meadow" in conjunction with ageves!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advantage Landscaping -Vallejo I think. I was thinking of calling it the Agave Grove but there will be some small grasses and Echinops, among other things so meadow seemed more appropriate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden