Garden Bloggers Bloomday July 2020

 When I posted for Bloomday in March I'm pretty sure I had no expectation that in July, 5 months later in high summer, our lives would still be upended by COVID-19. The garden doesn't  care about what we humans are experiencing and it benefits from a gardener that is working from home. This in fact has been my silver lining. Files and piles that used to be in my office at work are spread out on my dining room table along with my computer equipment. Instead of fluorescent light fixtures above my head I have natural light from windows on two sides. When I look out those windows I see my garden. When I take a break I take it in the garden. I can pull a ton of weeds in five minutes.

 This month features the Lilies. I have already ordered more for fall planting. The benefit with lilies is that you can dig a hole about the size of a potholder and install 3 bulbs and get big drama .

Silk Road

 

 Carte Blanche  



Black Beauty


 Silver Scheherazade



NOID


 Luson



Montego Bay



 Other stuff is going on, not just the lilies. I've had these Eucomis several years and they've been moved a few times. No idea what they are but they are still enjoyed.



Pennisetum 'Red Bunny Tails'



 Eryngium 'Blaukappe' with Angelica stricta purperea


 Sanguisorba 'Pink Tanna' 


Panicum 'Heavy Metal' 



Ramping up the Dahlias. I am having good luck with the collarettes. This is 'Bee Happy' . I'll be planting a second one next spring.


This is a bedding Dahlia called 'Black City Lights' that I found at a garden center in a 4" pot. I'm going to dig it in fall and try to make some new plants. The foliage is fantastic-you can see it in the background.




Scabiosa atropurpurea 'Black' .Need more of these for cutting.

  I've been looking for this double Feverfew for a few years. I'm not surprised to have found it at Annies. I hope it seeds true. Wonderful filler for arrangements.


 Eryngium bourgatii, Gloves are needed.

 Lobelia tupa. I'm having irrigation issues this summer and plan to make changes in fall. 

                                           

The extremely cute Zinnia 'Jazzy Mix' from Select Seeds.





The excellent Carol at May Dreams Gardens hosts this monthly event for garden bloggers worldwide. Be sure to visit.

Comments

  1. Great photos! I especially love one of the Red Bunny Tails. I wish I had planted more lilies. I have a few more that are getting ready to bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are in Lily heaven up there up there in the PNW. I will never ever forget the magnificent stand of Conca d'or at the Germantown Garden. Thank you for liking the photos !

      Delete
  2. That zinnia is amazing! Interesting scabiosa, it looks topped with cupcake sprinkles!
    I grew Bunny Tails and threw them out! The plants looked like something I'd pull out as weeds. Your red is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scabiosa came from Annies and hopefully will re-seed. This Red Bunny Tails is one of the 'anchor plants' in this bed at about 3x3. It seeds little but they pull easily .

      Delete
  3. Envy all your lilies - pineapple and otherwise. I moved most of mine to my much sunnier community plot. They are doing FAR better there. Maybe by next year, they will put on a show like yours. Just WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had an 'allotment' plot here Anna, I would put in a cutting garden in a hot minute. The second year is definitely more robust. Carte Blanche and Silk Road are both 6ft tall plus.

      Delete
  4. I swooned over each and every photo, Kathy. I've had very poor luck with most lilies but your post had me digging out my Sunset Western Garden Book to see which, if any, might survive under the conditions here. Unfortunately, the oriental hybrids are not in that group (consistent with my experience) but there are some lily species that might work I'll have to look into when it's time to order bulbs. I also fell in love with that (beautifully backlit) 'Red Bunny Tails' grass. I've never seen in in local garden centers but I'll be looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can grow Asiatics down there Kris. I'm surprised you don't see 'Bunny Tails' around-it's quite common in nurseries up here.

      Delete
  5. Those are spectacular Lily blooms especially pineapple lily .I wish we have a weather to grow some of those varieties of lilies.We only grow those exotic lilies as a spring annual .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh swooooon sigh those lilies!! I read up recently on B&D to see which ones would work here. I can't imagine they would ever look as good as yours.

    I must have that 'Black City Lights' too. Mine was labeled "4" Annual Color". Was so exciting to see it return this year. Yes the foliage is stunning. Not only black but shiny too and contrast to the bright flowers.

    The 'Blaukappe' with Angelica photo--wow!! Your post made my morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lilies have been popular with the neighborhood walkers too ! So many people out walking during the pandemic that I have never seen previously. I hope they are inspired to try some gardening . I'm not taking any chances on 'Black City Lights' ..I'm going to dig it up and winter it over in the garage, maybe if it grew some tubers I can get two plants out of it.

      Delete
  7. And a benefit for us, your readers, to your working from is that you've got the time to take some GORGEOUS bloomday photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loree ! You would think the house would be clean too-but alas...

      Delete
  8. Loved all these! I wonder if panicum would do that in SoCal -- have not tried it yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden