Garden Bloggers Bloomday November 2019

 We have made it all the way to mid-November here in Northern California without any event that could be considered the first rain of the season. We got a brief shower that was barely measurable in September and nary a drop since. The NOAA forecast discussion points to the last week of November for the possibility of some moisture coming our way. On the bright side, the daytime weather has been extremely pleasant and just about perfect for outdoor manual labor. We have had 2 or 3 mornings that could be considered mildly frosty-my lone Dahlia was knocked back but I still have 2 of my 4 basil plants.


   This is the floribunda rose 'Brass Band' which would probably be in a full-on springlike flush if it weren't for the reduced sunlight it receives in fall.



 Madame Isaac Pereire has no rust and no blackspot and several flowers.



 Lobelia Laxiflora is blooming more heavily than it did at any time this summer. Not enough cold to lay it low yet.


 Here is Basil 'African Blue' pumping out the blooms .


 Cuphea micropetala has been blooming heavily since sometime in August.  What a great fall interest plant this has turned out to be.


 This Lantana is reverted from the original variegated/yellow flowered variety that I planted several years ago, and has achieved SoCal style size this year. It lives in the hellstrip and would completely grow over the sidewalk if I let it have its way. It dies back to the ground in winter (if we have one) and this year I may make the attempt to remove it and replace with another of the variegated version.


Passiflora 'Blue Horizon' has never stopped blooming, but unfortunately it has also never stopped growing. This weekend I will be digging it out which is regrettable but it is starting to pop up baby vines way too far away from the main plant.


  It's a beast.

Tecoma stans 'Orange Jubilee' is starting to wind down.



 For the first time in several years I decided to plant some pansies in containers .  I'm so glad I did , they have given me so much enjoyment . My daily routine now when I get home from the office is to head out and pinch off the faded flowers to feed to the compost bin. It is a very calming exercise.


 I cut back this Phlomis almost to the ground last winter and the blooming was delayed til fall. I was trying to control it's growth a bit but it has completely grown back to it's previous size . This winter I will just cut out branches around the outer edges and leave the center intact.


 And this is not supposed to happen here in November.



 Be sure to swing by to visit Carol at May Dreams Gardens for more Bloomday flowers.

Comments

  1. Lovely flowers, your roses look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's nice to get a little extended enjoyment !

      Delete
  2. You have so much flower action still! Your garden looks like early fall rather than almost winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t get over your Lobelia laxiflora blooms; mine is SO done for the year. Lots of great flowers in your garden this Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine is usually done for by now , but no frosty nights are in the forecast yet. I'll enjoy it while I can !

      Delete
  4. Your Bloom Day stars are all gorgeous, Kathy. I haven't been able to get a single passionflower vine to survive much less flower for me here so the over-achievement of yours seems all the more remarkable to me. I have a couple of reblooming Hemerocallis this fall too - it's a wonderfully weird occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every passion vine I've grown prior to this one has always died back in winter. This one did not skip a beat. I have to get rid of it before it creep over to the neighbors !

      Delete
  5. Lovely blooms..Happy blogger blooms day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blooms in your garden. We have had a very dry winter, but still the spring flowers are looking stunning this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opposite of our dry summer. Irrigation is a fact of life in summer here.

      Delete
  7. Looking great Kathy. Good luck with the passiflora dig. I'm keeping a wary eye on mine but so far winter keeps them in check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dug it out yesterday, but I know I will be battling 'pop-ups' for a while. It was a workout ! Cobea scandens in that spot for next year-much easier to control.

      Delete
  8. That Cuphea is scrumptious! Wish it would survive dropping temperatures up here. I know exactly how you feel about that Passiflora. I have a white one (Snow Queen) which is coming up all over the place. Cut it back pretty severely last year, and might have to do the same again. And dig up all those pesky starts... It's lovely, but as you so aptly put it - it's a beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning on 'Snow Queen" ! I wanted one but if it's coming up all over for you it will probably be worse for me in Z9. Maybe a giant pot is the answer.

      Delete
    2. I will happily send you a start, Kathy. I'm sure I will have plenty of it, come spring.... yikes!

      Delete
  9. 'Brass Band' is a great rose here. Yours looks like a winner too.

    The Passionflower vine--rampant is scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brass Band is definitely a winner. Great re-bloom and minimal (if any) blackspot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden