Visiting the Luminous Chickadee Gardens

  In September I had the opportunity to tour the garden of fellow blogstress Tamara of the always informative and entertaining Chickadee Gardens. Tamara and her spouse David (aka the Facilities Manager) made the move from their home and small but splendid urban garden in Portland in late 2015 to a 2+ acre spread north of the city. You can read about the move, the motivation for the move and see photos of the property before the transformation began here. Tamaras' chronicle of the efforts here have really captivated me, I read every post usually more than once and seeing the garden in person was a genuine pleasure and a check-off on the bucket list.  My only regret is that I failed to photograph the aesthetically beautiful and  delicious lunch that we were served upon arrival-most of the ingredients originated right there, just a stroll away from the table. And you couldn't beat the company; Loree the proprietress of the Danger Garden, and Gerhard of Succulents and More. The missing link was the ever productive Facilities Manager who was out of town that weekend-I know we all would have liked to give him his deserved kudos for a job well done.




   It's really kind of astonishing the level of maturity attained in this garden considering only 3 years have passed since  this property became their home.





 The generous size of the planting spaces that Tamara and David have created allows room for imposing grasses and tall perennials, but they have not neglected the edges where plants of lower stature soften the pathways .




Very appealing combinations of texture and color are skillfully positioned .



 I took many photos in this spot-to me it sort of distilled the feeling of this garden-and in the upper right you can just see Loree, Gerhard and Tamara .



 All the PNW peeps seem to have Tetrapanax, which though hardy here is never seen in my area. I would love to have one but I know they wander so I am hesitant-a very large pot is always an option.
 


 Moving just a few feet in either direction provides a different perspective , a new plant stew to enjoy.





  And the vegetable garden was seriously beautiful and clearly very productive (did I mention the lunch ??)


 The intrepid Facilities Manager has installed some fabulous supports for the climbers and twiners that preserve the integrity of the rural environment. 




   Thanks to Loree for facilitating this visit, and to Tamara for her generous hospitality. As it happens, between the time I started writing this post and publishing it, Tamara has put up a really nice 3 year retrospective  on her blog that will take you along on the journey as she and David create this outstanding  garden.


Comments

  1. Awesome photos of an awesome garden. I can't believe Tamara and David have lived there for three years already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be great to have all that room ? I'd need a retinue of hired helpers-and probably none of them would be as productive as Tamara and David.

      Delete
  2. Wow...Her garden is fabulous! Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tamara and David's garden is a delight and it was great to see it through your lens. I'm always blown away by the amount of work they've done in only three years. Stellar people and a fabulous garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes stellar ! They really exemplify a great working partnership , and you can't argue with results.

      Delete
  4. Can't think of anything to say besides "Wow!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have enjoyed Hoov...I was thrilled to be there.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for such a beautiful post, you made the garden look pretty good! Great photographer, you are. It was a PLEASURE seeing you, Gerhard and Loree - even more so spending quality plant time together. You are always welcome here and I'm thrilled you enjoyed lunch. Hugs, xoox - Tamara and Facilities Manager (who says a hardy HOWDY and sorry he missed you) and Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making a garden that looks good, look good is not too hard! I loved taking photos in your garden, and just being in it as well. You've created a really immersive experience -stroll along and let the garden surround you. Not only did I regret failing to take a photo of lunch, I also failed to get a photo of the beautiful Hobbes and The Girls with their turkey dude protector. Next time. Howdy back to FM !

      Delete
  6. Like you, I've enjoyed following Tamara and David's progress in creating this beautiful garden. Thanks for sharing your own visit as it's always fun to see a garden through another lens, literally and figuratively. One day I hope I'll have to chance to see it in person too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they have more areas to develop as well , so there will be more updates for us to enjoy.

      Delete
  7. This is a fabulous garden, and your photos really helped me to see it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, I'm glad you enjoyed the tour.

      Delete
  8. Kathy, I thought I commented on how splendid your coverage was of this gorgeous garden but don't see it, so am adding another comment for emphasis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to an insane number of gardens this year, for many of which I haven't even finished processing the photos, let alone posting about them ! But this one seemed special to me .

      Delete
  9. Wonderful photos of a fabulous garden! And that lunch...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden