In a Vase on Monday-Zinnia Season

 I haven't grown Zinnias in a couple of years, and the last time I bought 4" plants instead of growing them from seed. and the results were not impressive. I went back to seed-grown again this spring , sowing them in 4 very large containers on my patio since I was in the process of renovating the only garden bed where I had enough room and enough sun to put them into the ground. This has been such a success that I am going to add two more pots next summer. 

I also picked some of the almost flopping Shasta Daisys-might as well head that behavior off at the pass, though I have to say the removal of a very large tree in early spring improved things significantly and the flopping is minimal this summer.
 



Also stuck in some Trachelium 'Hamer Pandora' , a couple pieces of Angelica stricta pupurea and some Nigella seedheads.



 The vase is Bauer Ringware, manufactured in Los Angeles from the late 1930s to the very early 1960's . The color is much more towards the jade green than what appears in this photo.



 Cathy at Rambling in the Garden is our host for this weekly challenge. Be sure to stop by !

Comments

  1. Such a cheerful bunch of flowers! Now that Zinnias are showing up in this meme, I'm really regretting not getting around to sowing my Zinnia seeds. I put it off because I got engrossed in bigger projects, and the weather seemed too cool for them, and then the time just passed so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the only seeds I started this year so it was not too onerous !

      Delete
  2. That is indeed a VERY bright vase - love the pink zinnia especially but you can't fault the orange ones for their zinginess. This is the first year I have had any success with zinnias, but am learning from the experience and hope to do even better next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to go gaudy upon occasion ! They just seem the right thing for summer.

      Delete
  3. What a happy combination - makes me want to grow zinnias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are easy , and they don't care if it gets hot either which is a plus in my climate .

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I love the purple Angelica! Your zinnias look so healthy and happy. It seems to be a little too wet and chilly here for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do like hot dry conditions Joanna, but these will probably get mildew in Sept when the angle of the sun starts to dip.

      Delete
  5. I love the combination of orange and purple, Kathy! I haven't grown Trachelium in a couple of years now and need to remedy that omission. I was late in planting zinnia seeds this year but had hoped they'd come along eventually; however, this past weekend's horrific heatwave didn't help matters. I may be resorting to plugs this year, especially as I lost so many blooms throughout the garden in one fell swoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange and purple put me in a Lucinda state of mind !

      Delete
  6. A cheerful, colorful vase of summer. Reading comments I see I'm not the only gardener who planted zinnias late--mine are not quite ready so it's fun to enjoy yours today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chunky, simple, vase is the perfect compliment to the colorful Zinnia. I wasn’t regretting not growing any this year, until now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I LOVE Zinnias! Especially the orange ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very impressive Zinnias, and beautiful arrangement. Cool Bauer vase that honors MC California--back when it could still be called paradise, (except for the smog).

    I grew Zinnias from seed this year, first time since I was like six, and am absurdly proud of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden