Garden Bloggers BloomDay August 2017

 August is typically one of my least favorite months in the garden , featuring among other things the toll of months of no rain and chronic  flopping behavior. I must say that this August is really not too bad compared with past versions of this month. I wish I could state that clever planting schemes and meticulous maintenance by the gardener were at play here but I think it's just dumb luck.
 I don't have many photos share , having had a bit of a malfunction when taking them .Operator error I might add.

 I believe this to be Sedum 'Bertram Anderson' . I accidentally planted it with Artemesia 'Valerie Finnis (accidental because she was cut down to the ground at he time and I forgot she was there) and what a fine pairing they make.



I was sure this white Lantana was done-for after this winter-it took forever to come back and  it's still quite small.


 I only got photos of 2 of the Fuchsias but I have several blooming now, most of them added this year. I confess I love them in spite of the water needs and heat-protection coddleing they require here . They are the most significant plant of my childhood , and I can only imagine how many I would have if I lived closer to the coast.





Clematis 'Arabella' will bloom well into October. I experimented with a mid-season pruning last month to rid her of some unsightly brown leaves.  So far I don't see much in the way of revival . In spite of the crummy foliage the blooming continues..



C. Rooguchi, a BloomDay regular.


A front garden combo along the path, Rozanne and this nice little yellow flower for which I have recurring plant amnesia. I can never remember it's damn name .



Eryngiums are slowing down , but they have certainly pulled their weight around here this summer.


And this is Caryopteris 'Hint of Gold' hands down  the best cultivar of the genus that I have ever grown.  I'm hoping to acquire a couple more.



Be sure to stop by May Dreams Gardens to find links to many more August bloom-fests.

Comments

  1. Nothing beats Eryngiums in my garden for heat and drought tolerance, and being colorful to boot. I despise August for the same reasons you do. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eryngium expansion is in the cards for 2018. And by the way my package came today ! Photo is posted on Instagram. They were unscathed.

      Delete
  2. I'd say you did well despite the camera glitch. I REALLY hope my future lath house allows me to grow fuchsias again - I miss them terribly (even if they are water hogs). As to the Eryngiums, who needs to spray paint dead Allium flowers when you can grow those? Sadly, my own attempt to grow them was short-lived (pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to your lath house ! I can't really be without Fuchsias, and their isn't much variety to be had around Napa so I mail order from Joy Creek .

      Delete
  3. Caryopteris...I'm sure I've tried it unsuccessfully and chalked failure up to winter chill requirements. Plus, I never see it locally, but that one is really something. Isn't that little yellow thing a calyophus, or maybe its name has been changed? I marvel at Roguchi, just wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had my share of failures with Caryopteris Denise, but thisone is a winner and so is the species C. incanum I got from Digging Dog.And it reseeds modestly too, so if one pases on there is usually another waiting in the wings.Calyophus could be right --I know it starts with a c. I have the tag somewhere.

      Delete
  4. Your fuchsias are gorgeous and I love the Rozanne and I can't remember it's damn name combination! It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in plant name amnesia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to have plant amnesia. Do you suppose it would help if I write the name of every plant I buy 100 times ? I was educated by nuns-they made us memorize everything.

      Delete
  5. As an Eryngium lover I should have more of the beautiful blue like you're sharing. Why don't I!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a new one this year after seeing it at Longwood ('Blaukappe') but I really really want Miss Wilmotts Ghost, with it's silver tones.

      Delete
  6. Repeat after me: Calylophus, Calylophus, Calylophus! But when you can take photos that beautiful, who cares? Fuchsias too the flowers of my childhood. I'd have more, too, if the climate was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My climate is not right either Hoov. I had to create environments ! Going to write Calyophus 100 times.

      Delete
  7. Everything was beautiful. I had to scroll down three times because I enjoyed it so much. Thanks for sharing.
    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden