Garden Bloggers Bloom Day May 2017

May is the month that finds my garden beginning the transition from the lush exuberance of spring with all it's explosive new growth into the dry months that are a defining factor of our Mediterranean climate . We had a brief heat wave this month , with the temps hitting the low nineties and the hills around our valley are beginning to take on the golden brown hue that is characteristic of summertime. Rain is still possible but not common, and often not measureable.

 One of my favorites this bloomday is Cenolophium denudatum. I purchased this last summer and left it in a pot while I agonized over where I would plant it. The spot was chosen , and it kept it's bright green foliage all winter . So far it's a winner.Love those umbellifers !




 Both of my Hawkshead Fuchsias are quite pink this spring, but blooming madly and are both in the 5 foot height range.


 Briza media always gets the cute grass award.

Not grown for it's blooms but Symphytum 'Axminster Gold' pumps them out in spring as the basal leaves get progressively tattier. It's big first cut-back of the year will come soon, fortunately regrowth is rapid.



  I have several Achillea 'Moonshine' around the garden; they are a workhorse.


Phlomis 'Amazone' was about to get the ax , but I think our winter rains gave it the nudge it needed. This is most it has ever bloomed since I've had it-probably 3 years. I'm still undecided about it's fate.



  The Anigozanthes is just starting to flower, here it is with the ever reliable Verbena bonariensis.


 Geum 'Totally Tangerine' has been blooming since February. There are still new flower stems coming up now , so it looks like there is at least a few more weeks of bloom in store.



This Phlomis dominates the view in the front garden.


 This is Digitalis 'Snow Thimble' which I purchased last fall. I  like to use white flowers in my garden, they really seem to pop against the foliage along the fence line. I put these in a location where full sun plants don't perform well  -too much shade leading to lots of stretching and flopping. These have been a perfect solution and I plan to add more when they are offered again at Annies. 


 Eryngiums catch the morning sun


 The spring Clematis are a done deal but the later bloomers are going strong. Noid on this pink-ish number.


 Etoile Violettes



The excellent Arabella will bloom into fall.


Plenty more May blooms are to be had over at May Dreams Gardens where our hostess Carol shares flowers from around the world on the 15 of each month.

Comments

  1. Seeing your Achillea 'Moonshine' made me remember that I need to buy some more of this. I had three plants last year and they worked a treat planted next to some geraniums. My note book said buy some more so tomorrow I will. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they great ? I have 6 I think.I cut them back hard usually in July and get a nice rebloom.

      Delete
  2. The orange/yellow colors are nice, but I really love the blues and purples!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Bloomday back at ya' .. I didn't include all of the purple stuff I have (Salvias mostly) I'm quite partial to that color.

      Delete
  3. Love the umbels too and for the moment I'm umbel-less until the crithmum starts blooming. Arabella still gets me weak in the knees. No show from that damned geum yet in my garden. NorCal is obviously where it wants to be, or maybe a container here in lighter soil, but babying it through a long summer? I think not. Getting too old for that nonsense. What a great spring show, Kathy, from some enviable plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I have to say Denise my Geum is not in the greatest soil, but it's not in the standing water area. It seems to me from experience with other Geums that exposure is more important.When I worked at the nursery in San Diego (back when there was 1 Geum in commerce) we sold it as a shade plant. It seems to be one of those full sun at the coast and morning sun inland plants.

      Delete
  4. We may garden in the same state but our climates are different in many respects. I'm enjoying Verbena and Achillea in my own garden but my Phlomis have been done for a month or more already and I haven't a chance in hell of growing that fantastic fuchsia. I fully intend to look into the lovely 'Arabella', however. Happy GBBD, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny how LA climate has changed Kris, I grew up a few miles from LAX and my Dad had literally dozens of Fuchsias that he bought from a little nursery owned by a Japanese dude on Manchester. They grew like mad ,in the ground,in moss baskets, everywhere.First plant name I ever learned. Arabella was purchased from Joy Creek. That's where I get most of mt Fuchsias now too .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here--our Gardena garden was just about all Fuchsias--they were magic.

      Delete
  6. Wow, your garden is looking lovely! Your Symphytum 'Axminster Gold' is a vision...mine is a few days behind yours and I'm itching to cut it back. Then again since it's so close to blooming...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope I get as much bloom out of my new Geum 'Totally Tangerine'. Now that I have more sun, we're starting to plant some of the same things like Achillea 'Moonshine' and Phlomis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Phlomis bloomed as long as the Geum and Achillea. Can't have everything though, and foliage combinations can always take up the slack.

      Delete
  8. You can have some of our rain! But enough complaining about that. (Did I mention that it's been 38 degrees for the last few nights. Farenheit.) We usually turn our furnace off in April but not this year. You've got some gorgeous blooms and that last picture of the clematis with the creamy yellow rose in the background is dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 38 ! We still dip into the 40's upon occasion in May, but usually high 40's. Still, one does long for 55 !

      Delete
  9. So your garden goes from mud...to all this beauty? Magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't take long for the mud to dry up Hoov. I sure am hoping for one more decent rain but the possibilities are diminishing. Now I await the joys of June Gloom !

      Delete
  10. You´ve got lovely plants! The clematis are very beautiful and I also like the Eryngiums. Enjoy gardening!
    Best wishes,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and the comment Lisa !

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden