Pacific Horticulture Society Hosts Summit 2016

 Fall is a fine time to visit the Northern California wine country, and what better reason than to attend the weekend long PHS weekend Summit 2016, "Shaping a New Garden in a Challenging Environment". The event will take place on the weekend of October 15th and 16th in and around beautiful Sonoma County , featuring a line up of nationally renowned speakers and tours of important public and private gardens in the area, with an emphasis on the exploration of the connection between gardens and nature.

Image used by permission© Saxon Holt www.photobotanic.com

On Saturday, the Luther Burbank Center for the Performing Arts will be the base of operations where we will hear inspiring presentations by the likes of Thomas Ranier, Bob Hyland and  Michelle Sullivan. Tom Fischer of the venerable Timber Press will lead a discussion among the days speakers, and next up a chartered bus will transport us to Quarryhill Botanical garden in Glen Ellen, home of one of the premier collections worldwide of wild-collected Asian plants.

The pond at Quarryhill.

An evening reception at Shone Farm, an environmental education laboratory at Santa Rosa Junior College, complete with farm and vineyard views will conclude the day.

Sunday mornings' speakers will be Phil Van Solen , co-owner of  Cal Flora Nursery  and Marilee Kuhlmann president of the Urban Water Group.

In the afternoon armed with box lunches and maps we set off on a self guided tour of gardens and ecological sites in Sonoma county, including a private opening of the iconic Western Hills Garden in Occidental.

You can visit the Pacific Horticulture website for more detailed information and to register. And please consider a membership if you are a west coast gardener . The Society offers educational programs and travel of interest to our region , and the quarterly journal which comes with membership is a fully west-coast centric publication .I've been a member since the 80's and still have every issue.

Image used by permission ©Saxon Holt www.photobotanic.com

Comments

  1. The sample photos looks amazing! If only we're near...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon out boys-you'll need a rest after doing wallpaper !

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a awesome event. Unfortunately too far for me to get to, but I hope you have a chance to attend and let us participate by blogging about it :-)!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I attend I will most certainly blog about it !

      Delete
  3. Oh, I want to go but not sure if it's doable yet. Are you going?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say about 90% yes, I've been dying to see Roger Raiches garden for years , and this might be my best chance !

      Delete
    2. I am so overdue for a road trip. I need to prioritize for this!

      Delete
  4. Are you still planing to go? Jealous if you are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am likely to Loree, but my only hesitation is the fear that I won't be able to register for Fling at 9am Sat when it opens ! What if it fills up that day ??? I have angst.

      Delete
    2. Oh my...I hadn't noticed the conflicting dates. You've got a smart phone yes? It looks doable that you could register with your phone while at the Summit...I think...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden