Garden Bloggers Bloomday August 2016

 August is just about my least favorite month in the garden, and it never fails to stimulate a relentless round of cutting back, digging up and too-late staking of the floppers. Bloomday gave me the opportunity to look for what actually still looks good. It's rarely as bad as it seems.

 For reasons that remain mysterious, getting decent photos of Fuchsias escapes me. I must include them in spite of   because they are a bright spot in the August doldrums. I was quite obsessed with Fuchsias at one time and had a robust collection, in spite of the fact that my inland climate is not ideal. After a few years of attack by the Fuchsia gall mite, I tossed them all , and was Fuchsia free for several years. Gradually I have re-introduced mostly resistant varieties.









  Caryopteris is holding it's own, this is a newbie C. 'Hint of Gold' superior in every way to 'Worster Gold'  in my garden. It may very well achieve the sought after repeated element status if I can actually find another one.That's Salvia 'Wendys Wish' performing a photobomb.


 This is C. 'White Surprise' , not as vigorous as the above, but really nice consistent variegation.



 Caryopteris incanum, modestly reseeds , blooms in spring and fall, and sports great deep colored blooms.


 I despaired this Cuphea would ever bloom, but now in it's second summer here it finally has given several flowers , with more to come. This is Cuphea micropetala.


 This is Lilium 'Sapporo' , new to me this year from The Lily Garden in Vancouver Wa. I plan to get a few more of these in spring; it has numerous attributes.


Chocolate Cosmos, purchased as an emergency replacement has earned it's spot.



Erigeron galucus


I attempted to dig out this no-name Persicaria last fall, but I changed my mind in mid-dig.The aborted removal  had nothing to do with quality , and everything to do with quantity-the footprint is vast and somewhat overwhelming in my small garden. But it adds a nice architectural presence and the bees love it..


The excellent Clematis 'Arabella' , blooms til winter.



 My only succulent bloomer a the present is Echeveria hamisii.




The Eryngium is beginning it's fade to brown.



 And as is my custom the 2nd Artichoke batch is allowed to flower.


 Garden Bloggers Bloomday is the creation of Carol at May Dreams Gardens, where bloggers around the globe weigh in on the 15th of every month to share the blooms in their gardens. Be sure to pay avisit.

Comments

  1. Whaddya mean you can't shoot Fuchsias??? I think you did a bang-up job! That 'Hint of Gold' Caryopteris is delicious - wish I had room... Happy Bloom Day, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Anna, the color never seems to be quite right-I took many many photos and with quite a bit of manipulation these were postable !
      Happy Bloom Day back at ya'

      Delete
  2. Oh that Clematis 'Arabella' image is just magical! And I had no idea you were such a fuchsia lover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Fuchsia was the first plant name I learned Loree, and was quite young, 6 maybe ? My dad collected them-we had hanging baskets all over the place, and Fuchsia shrubs in the garden. 'Arabella' is first rate-I have two, both purchased from our friends at Joy Creek.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Anna. Despite your disclaimer, I think you did a great job with the fuchsias. I love them too and grew many in my former cooler, shadier garden but, after 2 attempts to grow them here, I've given up - it's just too hot and dry. I love the Caryopteris too. I have one variegated plant but it hasn't even deigned to bloom this year so I'm dialing back my original infatuation with the plant. I'll give it another year to prove itself but I've abandoned my original plan to add more.

    Happy GBBD! The cooler days of fall are just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris..the reds are the worst to photograph, they always come out looking like shiny plastic lol. I've tried and failed with many varieties of Caryopteris.I also have 'Summer Sorbet', but it's small. I might move it this fall and see how it does. Happy Bloomday !

      Delete
  4. Hint of Gold just may be the next rock star, what a beaut. There's going to be a run on them from your BD post. I scrubbed the garden of all persicarias, but they are the best for late summer. Maybe I'll bring them back to grow along the drip hoses...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Denise, they need to find them for the run to occur ! My Persicarias get watered once a week in high summer and that's it. They sink or swim !

      Delete
  5. I love fuchsia but they don't grow well for me. Our summers are too hot and humid. I have an echeveria that I'm hoping to overwinter. It's been a cool annual for me. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I have to move a few of my Echeverias into the house or garage over winter-they are marginal here. As for the Fuchsias they sure seem to prefer the west coast maritime climate, but I have friends in New England that grow the damn things in full sun all summer long.I have to be very careful about where I plant them.

      Delete
  6. My parents were also Fuchsia growers, encouraged and supplied by a couple of hard-core gardeners in the neighborhood. Dad constructed a lath cover for the entire back yard fence so we had a ring of Fuchsias there. So near the coast they were wonderful. Beautiful photos yet again, my eyes and soul thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden