A Spring Morning Visit to Annies

 Armed with a list and a budget , I made my first 2015 visit to Annies Annuals . In the last several days I have been able to move from the digging stuff up phase to the actual plant installation phase of the various renovations I have happening here. I have orders pending with  Digging Dog and Joy Creek , both of which I expect to see by the end of the month.



I lingered in the parking area to admire the Paulownia tomentosa in glorious bloom and the perimeter plantings..







Ooo la la , check out the Cussonia 



 Annies is vast , and the sales area has expanded  further in the last couple of years , as has the staffing . I was asked multiple times if I needed help-as a professional at Annies shopper , I didn't in fact need help , but I can imagine how overwhelming this nursery could be to a casual gardener or a first time visitor.



 The display gardens were all spring-y and rosey...






The Flower Floozie is in rare form this year...complete with fairy wings


Surveying her domain..



 Shucks, I was pretty fond of this particular Agave vilmoriniana.



The cow has her very own windmill this season.






Poppies !


 I only came home with 8 plants , a pretty conservative haul for me. Theres always next time !

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. lol. my budget is always a hundred bucks when I go to Annies, I was under this time. That means I can go over next time !

      Delete
  2. Oh My, Oh My! Remembering our visit there with the San Francisco Fling. It is a great place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE have so few plants grown on site type nurseries here Alison compared to the PNW , it's great to go some where that doesn't have the same stuff that everyone else carries.

      Delete
  3. Planning to cut back my Paulownia tomentosa I never expected to see flowers. You've got me thinking twice about that with just one photograph....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's big Loree ! ..it would be like Clifford the 2nd...

      Delete
  4. Annie's Annuals looks such good fun Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have their brand finely tuned , and it is all about fun ! and plants of course...

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a perfect day to me! Although Annie's is far, far away, one of the nurseries I frequent carries her plants. It's not the same (a fact made obvious with one look at your photo of her display tables) but that and mail order help me cope...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annies is a two hour event Kris , not counting drive time. Maybe you and Mr Kris need to do a Norcal road trip !

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring looks so juicy at Annie's -- coming from someone who just visited the wildflower meadow at Rancho Santa Ana BG, which was quiet in color and dry. No spring orders pending here, I'm envious. Plant away! And list those eight plants you carted home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise , I posted a link to this post on my FB page and Cynthia immediately requested a list..I obliged so if you head over there the list is up. I noticed when I was paying for my plants that Annies has some sort of water conservation award from either Richmond or East Bay Mudd. Wish I'd asked about it , I will next time.

      Delete
  8. The gardens there look fabulous despite the drought, so the water conservation award is probably well deserved. Enjoyed your visit, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their ETO is probably way less than mine, they get the nice bay fog and mist, and cooler summer temps. I think you can just about grow anything in Richmond.

      Delete
  9. Oh my, Annie's is such a cool place! I'm so glad we got to visit during the S.F. Fling! Your pictures make me want to do a return visit to the bay area! You display such control as it's so easy to go plant-buying wild in an awesome place like that! I bet everything is planted by now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden