This Weeks' Fave Rave


 This week I have spent a great deal of time looking at and touching Chasmanthium latifolium, 'Northern Sea Oats' . A freak June rainstorm caused a bit of splaying and flopping , but it does swish and rustle pleasantly when I brush against it as it reclines toward the path.



 I also own a variegated version of this, though it is much less vigorous and desperately needs to be moved , for it is in the root zone of a  large, mature  Liquidambar . I find the tactile characteristics of the blooms very magnetic..I can never walk past this plant without touching it..even better than popping fuchsias if you ask me, and lets face it , popping fuchsias is pretty damn compelling. Chasmanthium makes me think of flat , warm coins. Thin coins, like dimes .

 




As with most grasses , it is vital to site it where the low sun illuminates. Mine is planted where it gets morning sun , afternoon shade, and evening sun. It has never shown signs of spreading or re-seeding in my Northern California Garden.






Check out the action over at the Danger Garden, for more weekly faves !

Comments

  1. I love this grass too! I also tried planting the variegated one, but it didn't thrive, and just withered away to nothing. You found some lovely light for these photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to move that variegated number into a morning sun only location..it's mighty puny !

      Delete
  2. We used to grow this beautiful grass. We ought to grow it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to without it now ! In fact in my annual fall garden reno tasks I may get a couple more and make it a repeated element .

      Delete
  3. Beautiful images of this gorgeous grass! I also used to grow this one but the area became shady over time and some lazy gardener didn't move the sea oats. Your post makes me want to try again in a nice bright area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, that's a good one!!! Your blooms seem to be way ahead of mine, which are just starting to bulk up and are still green. I've never had issues with it seeding around in my garden either, but have heard of several people who do.

    Oh and you had me snorting my coffee with this line "even better than popping fuchsias if you ask me, and lets face it, popping fuchsias is pretty damn compelling"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why Loree, I never would have taken you for a fuchsia-popper. Bet you love bubble wrap too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coastal Maine Botanical..The Childrens Garden

A New Focal Point !

Arty Garden